SARAH + SERVICE
Sarah is committed to serving her department, college, and university in addition to the wider community. Her commitment to service has been recognized by the following awards:
- President’s Commission on the Status of Women Outstanding Faculty Woman, MSU, 2016.
- Inspiring Women in Stem, Insight into Diversity Magazine, selected as 1 of 100 nationwide, 2015
- Bagley College of Engineering Service Award, 2014.
She is a co-founder and the program director for Bulldog Bytes, an outreach program at Mississippi State University providing education in computing and cyber-security throughout the state of Mississippi. Her service activities are diverse as illustrated by the list of activities below:
- NSF Review Panelist, INCLUDES program pre-proposals, 2/27-2/28/2017
- Application Review Panelist, ASEE SMART Scholarship Program, 2017
- American Society for Engineering Education-Southeast: Publications and Promotions Committee Chair, 2016- present, Secretary, 2015-2016; Software Engineering Division Chair, 2014-2015.
- Bulldog Bytes Outreach Program, Director, 2014-present. Offer computing camps for elementary girls, middle school and high school girls and boys. Co-developed the curriculum for these camps that teach computer programming and principles of cybersecurity and the applicability of cybersecurity to everyday life.
- Sarah has been collaborating with the MSU College of Education since 2014 to offer summer professional development for teachers. The workshops, offered under the Bulldog Bytes program, introduce teachers to computer programming and cybersecurity and assists them with developing plans for integrating those topics into their classrooms. This research-based work will inform the development of a computer science education major and licensing for CS teachers in the state of Mississippi.
- Pen pal with elementary school student through MSU Provost Office, 2015-2016
- NCWIT Academic Affiliate Core Member, Aspirations in Computing Award Coordinator, 2012-present.
- Mentored Noxubee County High School student, arranged information technology shadowing opportunities for him on MSU campus. Fall semester 2015.
- Curriculum Review Committee, Mississippi School for Math & Science (MSMS), 2014.
- Facilitated implementation of MSU-MSMS dual credit for CSE 1384 and CSE 1284, Fall 2014.
- DOW Diversity Fellowship: Selected to provide mentoring to minority MSU Bagley College of Engineering students, 2015-2017. Met with the students one-on-one and as a group at least one time each semester, facilitate contact and mentoring between mentees and industry representatives, including site visits and conference attendance.
- Invited speaker, I Am Girl workshop, Bagley College of Engineering (BCOE), February 13 2016.
- Invited panelist, “Engineering majors and careers”, BCOE Summer Bridge, summers 2012-15.
- Invited speaker, “Computing majors/careers”, BCOE Summer Engineering Academy, 2014.
- Search Committee, BCOE associate dean for academic affairs, 2014.
- Academic Advisor to Undergraduates (advisees each semester since 2011 have ranged from 60 to 160 total)
- Faculty Advisor, CSE Ambassadors, 2011-present
- Faculty Advisor, Upsilon Pi Epsilon Computer Science Honors Society, 2016-present
- Search Committee, CSE clinical faculty, 2016
- Search Committee, CSE Department Head, 2016 and 2017
- Initiated and led an ad-hoc Advising Committee in CSE to design (and implement) an improved methodology for assigning students to academic advisors.
- Coordinator, Institutional Effectiveness reports for CSE, 2011-present.
- Chair, CSE Software Engineering Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2011-present.
- Chair, CSE Computer Science Software Engineering Undergraduate Studies Committee,.
- Coordinator for ABET in CSE, 2011-present. Facilitate the collection of ABET assessment data, review of those assessments, and quality improvement review of the ABET process
- President's Commission on the Status of Women 2016-present, Awards Committee 2016-2017, Vice President 2017-2018
- Invited speaker, "Computing Study and Careers", LeaderSTATE camp, MSU, June 19, 2017
- Invited speaker, "Women and Leadership", WE Lead (leadership conference for high school girls), MSU, July 23 2015.
- Co-led student advising session at Academic Administrators Training hosted by the Provost’s Office, audience included new Academic department heads and other administrators, 2012.
- Co-founder of Silicon South, a collaborative effort between Mississippi State University's Computer Science and Engineering Department and the College Options Foundation. Goals include promoting job growth in and bringing digital literacy and computational thinking to the children and workforce to the southern region of the United States.
- Charter member and on the Leadership Team for CodeMS, a project founded by numerous individuals and organizations brought together by Innovate Mississippi.
Related Professional Development:
Legal Issues Conference, April 2016
Career Development workshop “Mentoring”, Jan 29-30 2015
QPR Gatekeeper training (suicide prevention), 4/21/2015
LGBTQ Safe Zone Ally training, September 2014